So I joined Orangetheory in October of 2016. I enjoyed the commradie and learning new workouts. However after 4 months in February 2017, I decided to quit. I enjoyed changing it up for a few months but ulitmately I prefer my home gym.
Here is a short list of the pros and cons of an Orangetheory membership:
1. Price. $159 a month for unlimited classes. Now I did use it about 5 days a week but that is still pricey
2. Not much workout variation. I like change. I love working out but I like variety. With the exception of a few partner workouts and the occasional “tornado” workout, all workouts were pretty much the same. 30 minutes of treadmill work and 30 minutes split between weights and the water rower. For me personally this hog boring. Running on a treadmill for 30 minutes everyday did not get me excited about the gym.
3. Modifications on the weight floor. Must of the plyometruc and weight floor options were given with one example of how to do them. Example, burpees. The trainer would show a traditional burpeee but no variation. It was up to me to use my own workout experience to know I could incorporate weights with an overhead press to make this move more challenging. So if you are above average athletically or just getting started working out, you might not find that the moves demonstrated are the ones best for you. You need to have some knowledge of alternatives to really get the most out of your workout.
4. Length of downtime. The trainers will demonstrate the floor exercises with everyone standing around them. Even though the moves are being shown on a tv as well. This is 5-10 minutes of my 60 minute workout that I am just standing around.
1. It’s a set workout that you don’t have to plan or think about. If you have a hard time getting motivated or coming up with workout ideas this is for you.
2. If you are new to working out they help guide you with your heart rate and you get exposure to weights and cardio all in an hour.
3. The people. If you take the same class at the same time everyday you will get to know everyone and they become like your Orangetheory family.
For me Orangetheory ended up not being worth the money, but I am also very lucky to have a complete gym in my basement as a wonderful alternative. I am glad I tried Orangetheory but 4 months was enough for me.